Subject: Re: FLASH: MC vs. timeline question
From: dartfrogmedia
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 05:44:37 +0100

At 07:43 PM 7/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I just finished the tutorial from the manual. Are there some objective
>reasons to go with movieclips for navigation rather than having
>conditions set up for jumps in the time line (with quasi-scenes)?
>
>Faster? Smaller? Easier?
>
>Thank you,
>
>U.

I would concur with everything John C. says. Since a movie clip must load
entirely before playing, this can complicate smooth loading. On the other
hand, movie clips can be parked in frames where they have no visible
content, so all clips can be present at the same point in the timeline and
can be called to appear and play in any combination. What I have found is
that it's usually best to use the timeline as a loading device; that is,
start a Flash design by figuring out how content will stream smoothly, and
spread it out on the timeline accordingly. Starting with that as the basis,
I then put most of my animations into movie clips for the reason stated
above and also to keep the timeline less cluttered.