Subject: Re: FLASH: Vecta 3D beta
From: Bill
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:52:04 +0100

At 2:09 PM -0400 7/6/99, Keane_Sadleratrosetree [dot] k12 [dot] pa [dot] us wrote:
>Not true. Most providers use a POP mail system, which generally speaking,
>does not give the user the choice of refusing to download a attached file
>from the mail server. Every mail system I have ever worked with will
>download ALL mail and ALL ATTACHMENTS automatically, into a mail cache. I
>realize that you are using AoL, which DOES give you the choice simply
>because ALL mail is stored on the server, not the client.

Eudora allows you to decide on what size of files to download or not.
Under receiving mail one can check Skip Files Over ___Kb (fill in the
blank)

I use it to stop image and program attachments, most of which are
over 40K. What appears in my mail box is the first part of a message
giving me the choice to download the rest or not. Smaller attachments
appear on my desktop. I usuallu open them in a small word processor
(Tex Edit+) to see what kind of file they are.

AOL of course displays the attachment, name and allows you to
download it or delete it.

Bill

http://www.kernunnos.com
Ancient numismatics (Celtic); Pre-Christian Celtic studies
updated 5/2/99

Please visit http://druidry.org, OBOD's new website.
The OBOD Book and Music Store, http://druidry.org/library