Subject: Re: FLASH: Freehand or Illustrator?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:16:34 +0100

At 9:37 AM 7/5/99, Tim wrote:
> Is that because it's... been around longer...?

Trivia note: The first PostScript drawing tool was actually... Fontographer!
Although explicitly a font-creation tool, the Altsys folks found that
people were using Fontographer to create single-color vector art that would
print crisply at large font sizes on a printer.
They then focused on making a real drawing tool... although Illustrator
was released a few months before FreeHand, the latter was named after its
then-revolutionary "freehand" drawing tool. This was copied into later
versions of Illustrator, and only recently was its name changed from
"freehand tool" to "pencil tool".... ;-)

As far as Illustrator vs FreeHand, the two tools share one area of
functionality -- creating single vector illustrations for use elsewhere --
but FreeHand also works in the larger multipublishing sphere too. The
ability to design multiple pages, to use graphic styles & search/replace,
the copyfitting, the HTML/SWF export, the faster display speed, the
worfklow shortcuts... it might be more sensible to compare FreeHand to the
Illustrator/InDesign bundle than to either of those tools alone.

> I want to get a package specifically for doing vector art which I
> can bring into Flash.

Have you seen Jim Hatlo's Thursday post here? He details some of the actual
practical differences that affect this set of goals:
Re: FLASH: Creating in Flash vs creating in Illustrator (long msg)

jd