Subject: RE: FLASH: Is: simulating modems speeds with digital access [OT] Was:Have to have Feature!!!
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:51:37 +0100

On 7/11/1999 5:36 PM, dartfrogmedia via mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com, said:

>just installed cable modem access and miss my pokey 56k connection. Do you
>have a method for simulating user internet connection speeds?

Cable modems are fast and cheap, but have a widespread disadvantage of
limiting access to a single physical location, with few, if any, options
for auxillary access. I've heard tale that TCI has recently provided
pay-for-play dialup numbers, in certain areas for those who still need
access to email and such when on the road, but I have no confirmation
where and how this is possible.

One of the great advantages of DSL, while speed/cost may be less
competitive at the moment, is that (depending on ISP) you still have
access to your ISP dialup numbers, and generally not at an additional
cost. They also generally allow for multiple simultaneous connections,
allowing you to serve from your DSL-connected box to a different dialup
box. Quite handy when you have that not-so-rare client who needs a
website, but doesn't even have personal web access to approve your
designs.

So, if you travel a lot, or are a web developer still in need of testing
your sites at modem speeds, DSL is often a choice worth considering for
the conveniences.

So, anyhow, to your problem, I can think of a long list of solutions.
One, of course, and perhaps the best is to pop another $10-20/month for a
dialup account somewhere (or switch to DSL), and use it for
testing/travel purposes. If you will need national coverage in case of
travel, I don't recommend AOL for this necessarily, because surfing via
AOL servers is slower than it should be. Another national provider may be
a better option for your general use, although it is arguable that using
AOL dialup for this will give an accurate representation of what eleven
million potential patrons might experience. Plus, it gives you direct
access to their crappy software, if their patrons are likely to be part
of your audience, remembering of course that you can use any browser via
an AOL connection. AOL also has both "bring your own access" plans, as
well as fairly low cost "by the minute" options still in place, so you
can decide how much of a tax-writeoff you want to go for. (We use the
BYOA unlimited access option for $5/month to maintain direct testing
ability).

Perhaps you even have a local relative or friend who will loan you dialup
account access for the occasional testing purpose, should your overhead
be too intense to absorb another monthly expense.

A second option is to create a BBS situation with Personal Web Sharing on
one or more computers, and just create a modem to modem connection to
internally test your sites, this generally being acceptable for emulating
conditions on a live server. If you have two phone lines and two
machines, this is easily accomplished. Though you do not have to have an
actual active phone line with Mac modems, an RJ-45 cable is enough ( I
don't know about wintel), it doesn't account for line damage/traffic, so
two dialtone access lines are advised. You can even host on an
intentionally slow machine to simulate a highly-trafficed server (or just
serve from NT, which should do the same <kidding>). You can also make
this happen on one machine with two modems, but you'll spend more time
configuring it to work than it is worth.

And don't forget that when testing via modem, you can restrict your 56k
modem connect speed via modem scripts to cap your access to v34, 28.8 and
slower connections to accurately represent connection speeds for older
modem users.

Some people use modified Serial to Serial connections to simulate modem
connections, but I'll argue the math is accurate in representing actual
modems, given the lack of compression, etc.

I know that Mac developers have access to some shareware that will
emulate a variable modem connection via your browser of choice on a local
drive (by somehow restricting the feed-rate of your drive), but, not
having the need for it, I can neither vouch for it or even remember the
name. A search at veriontracker and/or Sherlock with Mac-centric plugins
should return positive results. Similar modem emulators may be avialable
for wintel.

So, bottom line is this: You either need a standard analog dialup access
in addition to digital access via your cable ISP or another ISP such as
DSL providers($0-$20/mo additional cost, or pay by the minute), or a
second computer with modem ($50-$100 used-$300 new), or time to configure
a single box ($?). Myself, I have to recommend the multiple computer
route, as this gives you the option of testing slower/faster processors
and other OS's. If your primary workstation is Mac, a $100-ish investment
in an old wintel, $40 for System Commander Deluxe, and the cost of each
OS will allow you to configure a single box for all the other flavors of
OS/browsers quite easily. One rather poor (financially and otherwise) web
designer I know even takes the time to swap out a P-75 chip for a
P-II-200 chip on the same board, so he doesn't have to spend money on a
second CPU . One can see why he is a poor web designer, or at least a
poor businessman.

HTH

Frederico

~Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.~

--John Lennon