Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: MAC
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:17:46 +0100

On 7/12/1999 4:40 AM, Simon Mills via simonmatcalmax [dot] co [dot] uk, said:

>In response I'd say if it was going to be a big effort to develop
>for an extreme minority then don't bother unless you know your target
>audience will be using whatever it is. Personally I'm not a great obsessive
>developing sites for vers 3 browsers. They just don't figure on our server
>stats. Not that the majority of our sites aren't backwards compatible but
>it's not something we obsess over.

Just a thought [not a hint of snide], but has it occurred to you that
your site doesn't draw older browsers in order to increase the stats
because they may not be well-accomodated? I'm not suggesting this is the
case, you seem to imply it is not, but I can tell you from experience
that sites designed to accomodate older browsers build an audience of
that base over time, as word gets around that you not only make room for
older browsers, but make them welcome.

I would suggest that it may be worth keeping a quality low-end version
available for at least a period of several months or more, until such
time as a lengthy period of statisitics centric to a particular
site/server prove that that particular demographic fails to return a
value (be it in actual sales or goodwill).

I can promise you it will be a very long time before sites like Ebay and
Amazon push away older browsers, but they clearly have the volume to
absorb the costs. Your client needs to decide how valuable these patrons
are for themselves.

As to your comments RE: the Mac & me, there wasn't any snideness or
insult written into it, despite Kevin's desire to read beyond what was
there, nor is it in an inherent part of my personality (though I freely
admit there are many Mac users who can be quite vehement and
insufferable, and I can get my hair up when an arguement is based on
unfair bias or mistruths). As Kevin has admitted (and i suspected), he
used a personal, private conversation that is months old to gauge my tone
today, and, upon review of that conversation, it is interesting to note
that Kevin launched the first "you're an idiot for using a Mac"-type
comment, and yet he makes it seem as though I'm the bad guy for playing
his game.

Thanks for starting this Monday off with bile, folks. I'll hope it's not
a sign of the week to come.

Frederico

~La Fortuna aiuta gli Audaci!~