Subject: RE: FLASH: How was this done! Wow of an effect to use!
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:31:08 +0100

>I had not visit this site until now.... wow, this is cool. I got the .zip
>file containing the explanation, but either I am a lot stupid, or there is
>something missing there... I don't see any action in any frame or button or
>whatever.. (don't get me wrong... I know it works when I go to "test
>Scene"...)

>What I mean is... where does he put all those variables, and the mouse
>actions, where, WHERE!!!!!?

You'll notice there is a MC called "loading dragOBJ." This MC contains three
keyframes, each with actions. The first keyframe sets the variables and
begins the dragging action. The second keyframe passes the variable from
trail(n-1) to trail(n). The last keyframe is a simple GoTo and play frame(2)
action.

Each letter on the main stage is a MC with the Instance name of "trail"
followed by a number. The MC that contains the controls (called "loading
dragOBJ") is placed directly before the first letter, and given an Instance
Name of "trail0."

In essence, what's happening is each MC (letter) is measuring the distance
between the prior trail and itself, and the velocity is accelerated in
proportion to the two.

This whole thing tripped me out for a long time. I just took it apart and
put it back together enough times that I finally had that "moment of
clarity" where the little light bulb went off over my head, and I finally
understood what was going on.

Hope that helps

-Eric-