Subject: Re: FLASH: FALSH: Global Variables
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:27:08 +0100

Hi Alan,

> So I'm trying to use setVariable to set a "nav" variable on each
> button, and the using goTo at the end of the scene to goTo the
> specified variable.
Variables set in the main timeline remain available in all scenes.

> Problem is that is doesn't work. Can this even be done in multiple
> scenes or do I have to flatten to a single scene? ;(
I wish I couls say no now, to save you trouble down the road, but the
answer is Yes.

Your problem is you are trying to set a Go to to another Scene using a
variable, since you have to set which scene a Go to uses and Scenes are
not a parameter that you can apply to variables you need to do ir a
different way.

Use a Tell Target and a Label, the Tell Target never involves itself
with Scenes , all Labels in all scenes are available to it. Just make
sure you don't duplicate any Label names throughout the whole movie.

Set Variable: "John" = "LabelName"

Then put in button:

On (Release)
Begin Tell Target ("/")