Subject: Re: FLASH: Please help
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:10:05 +0100

At 01:33 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>I need to move around a word (company name) so that each character will
>>come-in in different directions and rotating individually.. what is the best
>>way to achieve this... thanks.
>
>2- Break apart you're word and make each letter a symbole

Although this will work it is inefficient. Once a word is broken up, the
letters become shapes and you have lost the advantage of Flash remembering
the font shape. This will increase file size, something we never want to do
in Flash if we can help it. If you follow my procedure, it is essentially
like Yann's but preserves the font nature of the symbol being tweened.

When using text, Flash stores only once the outline of every letter used.
If you use multiple fonts, bold, or italics, Flash will store outline
information for every variation. Select your fonts carefully so you can use
as few variations as possible, and do not break letters apart if they will
be used more than one time. (This does not apply when you must break apart
a letter to apply special effects such as gradient fills, outline effects,
or complex distortions).