Subject: Re: FLASH: Minimizing Movie Size
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:13:04 +0100

At 04:33 PM 7/29/99 -0700, you wrote:

>>>Will bitmaps in your library actually increase a movies file size? I
>>>was under the immpression that your library was merely a storage bin
>>>and was independent of the exported movie
>>
>>You are correct. What affects movie size is those library elements
>that are
>>actually used in the movie.
>

>I was under the impression that everything in the library is exported
>with the movie. That's why there is the 'select unused media' choice.
>If you delete unused media your movie will be reduced in size. For
>instance I am working on a site with several bitmaps. They were
>imported as 300 x 300 pixels in size. I reduced them in the movie to
>60 x 60 pixels but the movie on export was huge. When I reduced the
>original bitmaps then updated them in the library with the smaller
>files the exported size of the movie was reduced significantly.
>Karin

As I stated, what affects the size of the .swf file is those elements that
are used in the movie. If you are making use of the bitmaps, then of course
the size of the bitmaps will affect movie size. Other than that, the
purpose of removing unused media from the library is to trim the size of
the .fla file, not the size of the .swf file.