Subject: RE: FLASH: David Gary, others, and the issues of time
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:10:17 +0100

On 7/30/1999 3:27 PM, Joe Shoults via joesatcopfer [dot] com, said:

>maybe the problem is in the chinwag server. I have never changed my clock,
>but my posts sometimes don't show up until hours after I post, sometimes
>right away.
>-Joe

It's not the time they show up, I am painfully aware of some posts being
distributed in mere minutes, others many hours or more (as much as six
days I've seen), it is the actual time-stamp placed on messages by the
sending client I am referring to. Chinwag shouldn't be touching them at
all. If you need an example, go look at the bottom of your folder, and
you'll find a few from 1995 and 1998 sent in the past few days. Chinwag
has some delays, yes, but not *that* bad!

today, DG sent a piece of mail at least two hours ahead of his own time
zone, and it just now faded down a couple of notches, until then, living
at the top of a date-sorted folder until "time caught up with it".
Several people do this as well,and I've even received mail (not on this
list) from more than a year in the future. Pretty amazing.

It's just a bitch to present a functional, progressive, linear thread in
an archive when dates are screwed up.

Frederico

~Following Apple's lead in producing compelling machines people want
to buy, Microsoft's next major release of Win 2000 will now offer the
'Blue Screen of Death' in five tasty new colors.~

--[adapted from] David Puett

Think Imitation? Think Innovation. Think Different.