Subject: Re: FLASH: Question on dynamic navagation
From: Randy Kato
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:34:16 +0100

Alan,

Off the top of my head (warning: it's Monday morning), you could try
something
like putting a script into each frame that creates and sets variables so
that
when they go to a particular frame, that 'location' gets stored. You'd
need to
create your variable names dynamically with an expression that would set
the
newVariableName to newVariableName + 1 (make these newVariableNames
numeric -
they'll represent an ordered history list) and then set the value to the
frame
number. Also set a variable to track the current position in the history
list,
say "n" that increases each time they visit another page, n = n + 1. In
fact,
you should just get the newVariableNames from n.

Eventually you'll have a list of variables like this:

1 = (frame#)24
2 = 14
3 = 98
etc.

In the Back button you can script it to read variable n, which in turn
tells it
where in the history list it is, which will provide the location/frame
number to
go to. Also tell n to set itself to n - 1. The reason for n is that it
will
allow you to go back and forward (which would set n = n + 1).

This should allow you to track the entire session history like a browser
does.

That's the main idea, then there are a few things to consider like a
script that
will check to see if a value exists for n - 1 (or n + 1) so that if they
don't
exist, the Back or Forward buttons can be greyed out/made inactive.
Also, say
you have a history list that's up to 20 and your user clicks Back 5
times and
winds up at location 15 in the list. Then they navigate directly to
frame #33.
Now history item 16 is reset to a value of 33 but this still doesn't
wipe out
the values for 17-20, so it wouldn't work exactly like a browser. A fix
for this
could be scripted too.

Hope this makes sense. You should launch this in a browser with no
button bar so
the user doesn't get confused. Otherwise you could simply make your
Flash nav in
one frame that loads individual pages into another frame and then the
browser
would do all the history tracking work for you.

HTH,
Randy

--
Randy Kato - Web Master

627 Broadway, Suite 504, NYC 10012
T 212.539.1680 F 212.539.1741
http://www.braincraft.com

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com