Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Kid Rock's strictly Flash4-*only* site
From: JGL
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:58:54 +0100

>Brian Matthews said:
>I told him the Flash plug-in is harmless and that
>any respectable websurfer would have it installed.

>Commentary?

Joe/Jane average surfer uses what they use to browse the Internet because
that's what was/is on their computer . . . and many don't even bother to
upgrade browsers or download plug-ins due to fear, lack of knowledge, and/or
obstinacy.

The only large system on the net that makes all that stuff a nearly passive
issue is AOL.

When AOL wants to update/change your net viewing software, they just do it .
. . and don't even ask.

In answer to your question, I believe it depends on the sites purpose. If
the goal is to sell product and you feel that the only way to sell it is
through a FLASH Interface, you will lose business. You'll lose it in two
ways.

1)Some people can't upgrade to Flash4 plugin
2)When you send someone to MM page for download, they might not come back .
.

When someone is at your web site, and you really want to capture their
attention as best you can so you can create a customer out of them, don't
send them away from your site . . . (Internet Basics 101)

A good example is:
I made this one site and was tracking those with 'no flash/need upgrade'
surfers and sent them to the MM download page after informing them they
needed to download or upgrade the flash player. Out of that group, almost
100% went to the download page . . .

You know what though? A large enough percentage didn't come back to our site
to merit concern. Needless to say, we quit doing that and send them direct
to the html site.

IMO, the MM download page is not a very passive experience. Too much going
on when you have to go to MM site and download the plug in. It even
*instructs* the surfer to goto shockwave.com

jgl

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com