Subject: RE: FLASH: a question for John Dowdell..
From: Brack, Jeremy
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:29:15 +0100

I fully recommend the HOT seminar.. it was not only useful, but it was also
fun. I already knew a lot about Flash before I went to the class, so I was
a little worried that the class would be "beginner level" or just basic
stuff. But I was wrong. I knew a lot about the basics, and that actually
helped me learn some of the advanced tricks they demonstrated in the class.
If you get stuck on something, they had about 10 assistants ready to help

you. The examples in my HOT seminar included building an entire e-commerce
website with draggable products that the customer can place into a virtual
shopping bag that sounds like a cash register(or any other sound you want)
when you drop a product in the bag. It was pretty cool. They showed us how
to list the contents of the virtual shopping bag, total up the cost, add tax
and process a credit card. They didnt show us how to link the Flash aquired
data with a real server, so that kind of sucked.. that would have helped me
build Flash e-commerce sites with the programming department at my company.
Well I guess I could research it if I had time.
During day 2 of the HOT seminar we learned how to use dynamic content with
Flash and Generator.. so it was really interesting.

The one main drawback the the HOT seminar is that they did not allow us to
take home the Flash/generator examples we created ourselves in class.
Several of the advanced people in the class (including me) created some
really cool stuff during the 2 day class, and unfortunately they had nothing
for us to save it on. No floppies, no zip drives, no CD-R's, no FTP server,
no e-mail, no nothing. They gave us a a CD for Generator and Flash with
examples that did not relate to the class. And they e-mailed us the generic
in class samples that the instructors created. Well I still havent gotten
the Generator sample, but I assume some people in the class were able to get
it. On the evaluation form at the end of the seminar, I suggested to
include zip disks or CD-R's for future seminars.. Even a CD-R drive on the
instructors computer only would have been helpful... then for what? 30 cents
a CD-R we could each have our examples saved? Well maybe next Seminar I
guess.

So if you get a chance to attend a Flash HOT seminar, I think you should
definitely go! But maybe bring along a portable zip drive!

Jeremy