Subject: FLASH: Library management and Flash quirks
From: ifx
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:05:23 +0100

Hi everyone,

Here's a subject that I've never seen any comments on. I just finished a
project that had over 500 different graphics, symbols and buttons. I put
each category into it's own folder so that I'd have an easier time finding
it later. Anyway, one thing I noticed was that the "select unused" command
in the library didn't accurately find the unused graphics. I had a small
bitmapped image that I deleted out of a button and it wasn't use anywhere
else in the movie, yet it wasn't selected when I did the "select unused". So
I'm left with manually watching to delete files that wind up not getting
utilized in the movie. Another thing that happened that really bugged me,
was that the client decided they wanted the movie setup into two separate
movies.. instead of just the one. So I split the FLA by copy and paste
frames into a new movie. It worked great.. but when I went to the library
all of the graphics had been brought over without the folders. So I had a
little over 300 graphics that were just a jumbled mess in the library. I
like to keep things organized so it really pissed me off that I had to spend
a half hour dragging and dropping everything one at a time into their
respective folders. It wouldn't have been so bad, but you can't shift select
anything that isn't in a line or it selects the whole row. I'm wondering it
a better file management system is something that people would like to see
in future versions. Maybe a hierarchical system with search capabilities?
Wouldn't it be nice to highlight a symbol and it would show a listing of all
places it's being used in the movie? I could go on... but you get the idea.

Alan

W I L S O N - I N T E R A C T I V E
http://www.wilson-interactive.com
Every noble work is at first impossible.
-- Thomas Carlyle

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com