Subject: Re: FLASH: Ownership
From: till
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:18:13 +0100

Hi,

>I work for a web design firm. Now while working here I am asked to create a
>flash website.

The main question is: are you working as a freelancer or employed. If you
are employed, you can be pretty sure that there is a parahraph in your
contract which says that your employer owns the copyright to all the work
you do while working for them (no matter if this is for one of the companys
projects or private work you did while working for the company). If you are
working freelance, have no contract, the source files (flas or whatever)
are yours. i think you cannot offer these source files to anyone else than
the company you did the work for though. But you can at least try to make
some extra money by selling the sources to them. Most companys tend to be
real pissed if you try this but if you never want to work for them again -
give it a try.

>So, obviously i do. Who owns the FLA. Me, the company, or both. Could I use
>bits of code and/or design elements, for my own further projects ( for my
>self not a new company)?

I think the code part will be no problem because they cannot find out if
this is code you already used for their project of if you have re-written
it. With the design elements i'd be careful.

This of course is how it is handled in germany, don't really know about US
laws...

Till

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com