Subject: FLASH: Re: flasher-digest V1 #3483
From: diana jeon
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:24:15 +0100

> From: jdowdellatmacromedia [dot] com (John Dowdell)
> Subject: Re: FLASH: help-flash in director 8-is this going to be a major
> headache?

discussion snipped here

> (Generally, when you're going to Director, it's easier to use simpler SWFs
> and put the interactivity at the top level... I've seen people stuff
> bitmaps and sounds into SWFs which then get hosted by DCRs, and they're
> wasting their performance here... "flatter hierarchies of simpler sprites"
> is the strategy.)
>
> jd

John, thanks for the input and the help. it was excellent advice.
unfortunately, all my fears were confirmed...it is bitmap based within the
flash piece, and all the interactivity has sound, as well as background
sound for the different vignettes. add the twwens going on, and the piece
is very processor intensive, though quick loading. when i developed this
artwork, it was always suppossed to remain an internet art installation, and
not be put into director. if the show were networked, the problem would be
solved...and they could just "get url" code it, but, alas, the show is not
networked, and it looks like i will have to remake the piece to get it to
work. on the direct-l list, someone suggested that director could use the
"open movie" lingo to open the projector of the piece. is this possible? i
didn't think director could even open a projector made in director using
this lingo...

thanks again,
diana

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com