Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 5; new player install necessary?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:38:23 +0100

At 10:48 AM 7/25/0, Thorsten Schmiedel wrote:
> ...how much of the actionscript-based gets lost when I export a
> MMF5 project as MMF4-swf...

Generally, things that exist today will be supported by the old players.

Hold it, that's complicated too.... ;-)

Here, try this, keep this rule in mind: Things that are already available
will still be available when you export from Macromedia Flash 5 as a SWF4
file. New features generally require the new player to interpret them.

(The trig stuff is an exception, because from what I understand it's almost
like a function call in the authoring environment, and it produces the same
bytecode in the SWF file that would have been used by hand in the
Macromedia Flash 4 authoring environment. From what I understand, the trig
is more an authoring convenience than a new feature... the math gets
compiled to the same instructions across versions.)

The Macromedia Flash 5 authoring environment has some color coding so you
can see which script commands are not available in older players. I haven't
put this section through its paces myself, and so can't comment deeply on
it, sorry.

My personal recommendations:

-- Keep doing what you're doing, in Macromedia Flash 4... this will work
as it always has, and if you're on deadline, then nothing beats polished
familiarity.

-- Please do install the current beta Macromedia Flash 5 Player and make
sure that your current work plays identically... if there's any divergence,
we need to know it now!! It's at
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/ , and I think the
current feedback address may be wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com.

-- When the Macromedia Flash 5 authoring environment arrives towards
September, take some time to play with it, run it through some test work,
before taking on a job with it. If you'll be using the new features, then
great, make sure your audience has the Macromedia Flash 5 Player. If you'll
not be using new features, then using either the 4.0 or 5.0 authoring
environments... the 5.0 is easier to use, but you'll have to check your
feature choices, so 4.0 may be faster to develop old files in, your call
though.

How do these angles sound to folks on the list...?

jd

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com