Subject: Re: FLASH: Any reason NOT to use Flash?
From: Robert Koberg
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:54:07 +0100

It depends. Do you need tracking? Is this for some kind of certification?
Are the interactions complicated or simple? Are you simulating something -
showing good and bad mechanical concepts and/or actual machines? Can this
be done without bitmapped graphics?

The overall guiding factor, for me, would be how complicated (what kind of
logic and media assets are necessary to pull off "the experience") it would
be. If it is complicated then I would use Director (web and CDROM and/or
hybrid) or Authorware(CDROM only). These tools provide the best routes to
solutions that you have to work around in Flash or can't even do. However
the learning curve might be a little more than you have time for...

With Flash 4 you have a lot more control but nothing like the control of
Director or Authorware. By the way, you can use any flash content inside of
Dir or AW and control it thru their respective scripting languages. Even
more so, Director makes use of Flash's rendering engine and gives you much
more control over vector graphics created in Director. With Lingo, you can
control the handles on Control Points of the vector drawiing if you need to.

If you have to use many Raster Graphics (Bitmap, tiff, jpeg, png,gif, ...)
then you would be better server by Director or Authorware. Also if you want
to be able to pull graphics from a server on the fly.

on another note, the audience you have to present to might be put off by a
game, expecially if it is too simple. You could be insulting their
intelligence. I would bet many of these (techinical, you know) people are
on the internet (for porn if nothing else) and are quite savvy. They spend
their days tracking down bugs and fixing them.

> I have the opportunity to bid on a BIG job -- training tens of thousands
of
> mechanics nationwide. Details on content remains a mystery, but the plan
is
> downloadable modules that the individuals can run off the hard drive.
Let's