Subject: Re: FLASH: Sorting out Flash 3 / Flash 4 conflicts?
From: Erik [gearik] Mattheis
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:03:00 +0100

My story:

Installed full version of Flash 4 demo on partition that had 8.1 and Flash
3 (w/Generator) on it. At one time this partition had the Dreamweaver 2.0
demo on it, and I believe there were still some of the invisible Macromedia
demo files like "Pocohantus Font" and "inControl Panel".

Wouldn't work

Trashed "salesagent"

Wouldn't work

Installed it on a partition with 8.0 on it that had never had a Macromedia
product on it.

Launched fine.

Later, when I had booted off the 8.1 partition, I discovered that Flash 4
then worked.

I'm not sure if I had launched the copy on the 8.0 partition while booted
off the 8.1 partition before it worked.

Check out:

http://www.gourmandizer.com/flash/matches/matches.html (drag the match, duh)

Uses Flash 4's if ... then and GetPosition() functions.

>I have seen bits and pieces of information about Flash 4 not running
>well on certain computers if Flash 3 is still installed. Does anyone
>have a clear picture of the overall problem? As best I can recall, I've
>only seen the problem reported from Macs running system 8.1. Is this
>correct? Did people experiencing the conflict download the full
>installation of Flash 4, or, perhaps, DL the upgrade, upgrade, then
>reinstall Flash 3 from CD?
Erik [gearik] Mattheis

Gourmandizer
Records/Design/Web Hosting