Subject: Re: Detection script and java flash player
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:21:25 GMT

Hi Miranda,

> Can I have some script to detect whether the users' browser contain flash
> plugin or not?
Yes, MM has two techologies to help detect if Flash is available, both
require JavaScript.
Aftershock
SmartShockwave

You can also use a Flash JumpMovie to detect Flash.

Soon I should have my AllFlash detection system available publicly.

> One more thing, is anyone can tell me about java flash player?? Haven't got
> much time to try it out, maybe someone here will give me the clue?
Aftershock is a free utility from MM to allow for easy degrading from
Flash to FlashJava to Gif.
Also check out the Transcript link on the FlashTalk page at
FlashCentral.
Jonathan Gay talked about FlashJava and there is a link to my Flash
verses FlashJava Test page. You can compare the time it takes for the
same .swf animation to download using your browser for both Flash and
FlashJava.

> And also, is the scripting make the pages/animations take more time to
> download?
In general only slightly except for SmartShockwave which is a .js module
containing nearly 800 lines of JavaScript (15K) also there are possible
delays when using the Flash Jumpmovie technique.