Subject: Re: NC 4.4 *is* caching 64k+
From: Dave Smith
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:17:00 GMT

Wayne Townsend wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Now this is odd.
>
> >The bottom line is it can be fixed with a plug-in solution,

> NC 4.4 (Mac) is caching this 128k mov.
>
> Recipe:
> goto
> http://www.cdmaonline.com/website
> let it load
> quit communicator
> restart communicator & go there again
> whoop-there it is!
>
> What's up? I thought no Netscapes would cache over 64k??

Hmmm, I dont use Mac, and Ive see NC cache no .swf. on PC
(I could be wrong since I ditched NC.

But this isnt a one browser problem.
NS3.0, I.E.4.0 and (to my knowledge)NC(PC) will NOT cache 'swf files
over 64k
which is rediculas when given streaming capabilities.(a catch22 if you
will).

The bottom line is most people on line are still using the 3.0
generation browsers
and from reliable sources about 60% of those people are using NS3.0

I.E.3.0 caches .swfs fine, but this is only one browser.
Its still doesnt argue the fact that the prob can be solved by MM with a
revived Plug-in. We need to expose this prob until its fixed.
Reguardless if one or 2 browsers
WILL cache .swf over 64k.

Dont you think? Why should we be held and hope that people use certain
browsers.
>From a designers point of view it needs to be exposed not complemented
or excused.

Designers have to charge their clients more and spend more uneccessary
time
working around these cache problems by implementing pop up windows and
frames
if they want to use Flash for what it was intended for, easy,
interactive Interface.
FSCommand and Javascript should not have to be a standard when using
streaming vector animation.

Which bring up many more problems for designers than needed, Its not
fair to the client or designer when it can be fixed with a new version
of the plug-in.

It also limits Flash's exposure and therefore hinders streaming vector
animation
from becoming a standard, Which I believe most of the designers on this
list are
working hard for. Is MM?

Bottom line is, Vector animation is not a standard and ignoring the
cache
problem isnt helping.

Your thoughts please,

-DG-