Subject: Re: Unilever pull out of using Flash after paying for a Flas
From: Mark Hayhurst
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:12:13 GMT

I didn't see the program (I'll try to find someone with a video of it)
but the account of it on the beeb's website is neither tactfully
worded nor especially accurate factually.

We do indeed have a very large intranet here with some staggeringly
diverse browsers in use (but of course big as we might be we're still
just a microcosm of the internet itself!). Anyone who's been on this
list more than five minutes will know that robust browser & plugin
detection is still not a reality and this is _one factor_ that led to
the situation broadly described. A more important factor was that
substantial amounts of javascript in a large number of concurrent
frames made even the then current browsers hugely unstable (and it
still does!).

We have a number of teams here and dozens of different groups of users
- in my team we certainly see Flash as a terrific tool and a key
technology and we're incorporating it into our standards. However I
would concur that if I were rolling out a global site I would be
cautious - as well as plugin detection/installation in a corporate
environment you must also cope with (more and more) locked-down NT
installations. The improvement in the Java player helps here but it's
not quite there yet. The "philosopher's stone" of a catch-all
detection script is also proving rather more elusive than it should,
especially when, IMHO, AfterShock really doesn't cut it.

My 2p worth - personal opinion I might add.

Mark