Subject: Flash usage - 6.9% - pleeeese!
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:00:40 GMT

>that i expect flash to all of a sudden jump to the top of the list, but
>i'd like some solid statistics to give to potential clients.

In my experience, stats like these are unreliable enough to be useless.

I don't believe that anyone has accurate stats on the audience size,
commerce (sales) on the internet, browser usage, and much less -plug-ins.
None of these numbers are verifyable. Any "stats" regarding the internet
should be taken with a grain of salt.

What *is* verifyable is the number of downloads. 24mil and 4mil in
January; no matter how you slice it, that indicates a *very* successful
product. Flash is probably the most successful D/L in the history of the
Web next to Netscape.

When making a case for Flash to clients, don't even get involved in an
argument of this sort.

It is far more effective to point out *who* is providing content with the
tool. That will get their intrest up much better than unreliable stats
like those.

Flash has some very big names using it - Disney, United Media, MSNBC, and
conventional business like Shell Oil, etc., etc., etc. Are those guys all
wrong? I think not.

Remember that content providers like YOU drive the market; the audience
follows. Look what Netscape did by pushing the html standards. Now, the
audience expects it.

This capability is free. It's not like you're asking the audience to bend
over backwards or spend a dime. If the audience wants the best content and
the fastest content delivery, (and I believe they do), then they can click
a couple of buttons and install Flash, or they can "surf-on", IMNSHO. They
weren't really buyers anyway. You don't have to satisfy every rabbit out
there in WebWorld. But you *do* need to provide exceptional content, to
make it worth the general audience's time.

It's all a perception thing. If they really *want* the content that you're
providing, they'll get the plug-n if they dont have it. I think you can
have trust in that. For example, if a user has to wait for a stupid
spinning logo, they get mad. But if they're waiting for pictures of a
comet hitting Jupiter, or a centerfold of Miss March, suddenly the effort
to get it doesn't seem quite so important, now does it.

So the key is to produce great content, that is attractive enough that the
audience will jump through a small hoop to get.

Never forget that you are doing the audience a favor by getting them to
install Flash.

You can build entire websites in Flash. I'm working on one where the
entire core website is loaded faster than most site's homepage. There. I
just saved my audience a lot of time. Which more than makes up for
whatever small thing they had to do to get the plug-n.
http://www.cdmaonline.com/website (under const.)
The whole core of the website is loaded faster than most websites homepage.
See? Most people think of Flash as an animation tool. The secret is that
it delivers normal content faster than any other method. Much faster than
standard html.

And doesn't Aftershock kind of make the point moot?

Don't forget to mention to the client that Flash is built into RealPlayer
and WebTV. RealPlayer rules, Gates now owns WebTV. What else do you need?

I pass the soapbox...

/wayne

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Dallas, Texas
US- 972.713.8705
waynetatTopher [dot] Net (mailto:waynetatTopher [dot] Net)
wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net (mailto:wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net)
gscatOnRamp [dot] Net