Subject: Re: Browser detection script
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 01:13:43 GMT

At 5:23 AM 3/9/98, Kelly, Derek wrote:
>I was also told by a totally unreliable source that Javascript cannot
>detect the Flash plug-in in Explorer.

That's true. Microsoft browsers do not have the navigator.plugins array,
and so cannot tell you their Netscape plugins. (This is why Aftershock will
err on the side of caution and generally present GIF animations for
IE4/Mac.)

Many of the Microsoft/Win32 browsers do offer a way to tell your page about
the ActiveX Controls they have installed, however. This uses VBScript
rather than JavaScript, and requires VBScript 2.0 or greater (in practice,
IE302/Win32 or greater).

Now, unfortunately, IE4/Mac barfs on Microsoft's VBScript, so you'll need
to protect one of Microsoft's browsers from one of Microsoft's
technologies. (This is why the new Aftershock 2.0 beta, for both Director
and Flash, uses document.writes on its VBScript block.)

Here's the hard part of browser detection: the various browsers have
different abilities, and the various designs have different goals. That's
why you'll see various browser-detection schemes in John Croteau's
wonderful resource, in the technotes, in Aftershock or Smart Shockwave or
ShockRave, and in the other routines that people use. Different routines
have different goals.

But yes, the Microsoft browsers cannot tell JavaScript their multimedia
capabilities, and many MS browsers can tell VBScript whether they have an
ActiveX Control. But once IE/Win32 browsers see an object tag, they'll
start to download it automatically.

No real help, I know, but I hope the context at least is of a bit of use....

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette