Subject: Browser detection script
From: Kelly, Derek
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:42:44 GMT

Hi

I thought I had this worked out but perhaps not!

I've been trying some of the detection scripts from the excellent Flash Tech
Notes site ( www.crownmall.com/flash/ )but am having some problems.

I want construct a detection page that detects whether someone has the Flash
plug-in or not, for both Explorer and Navigator.
If they have the plug-in, then off they go to a 'flashed.html', and if not
then to a 'nonflashed.html'.

However, when testing this page on a version IE4 without the plug-in, I kept
getting messages on the status bar, saying that it was installing the
component.
I take it this means that it is installing the Flash plug-in, which is not
really what i want. I want those who have the plug-in to go to the Flash
page but those who don't have it to go to a non-flashed page.

I was also told by a totally unreliable source that Javascript cannot detect
the Flash plug-in in Explorer.

Perhaps a helping of humble pie from the canteen is in order (again!), but
can anyone point me to a detection script for this problem.

Thanks in advance

DEREK KELLY