Subject: Re: Firestorm
From: Shawn Anderson
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:40:26 GMT

I opened previously created gifs and jpegs in it and used fireworks to
bring the file size down.

It was pretty amazing, actually. Beats debabelizer in that category if you
ask me. Combine that with it's ability to do the Photoshop-Lite type
features and you've got yourself a niche. As long as it's very price
competitive.

At 01:53 PM 3/11/98 -0800, Geoffrey J. Swenson wrote:
>I downloaded the Macromedia Firestorm beta, tried it out.
>
>Firestorm seems to be a "object-oriented" bitmap development program.
>Interface-wise it doesn't even compare to Coreldraw, especially to CD8.
>Admittedly CD is not a bitmap development program per se, but with
>version 8 there is a lot of capability to handle bitmap conversions, and
>editing (in conjuctions with the bundled Photopaint, which really is
>quite nice, even has a few things over Photoshop.)
>
>The Firestorm interface isn't as gosh-awful as Flash2 (at least in
>respect to the way objects are selected and so on) but there seems to be
>no reason to draw objects in this program over coreldraw (or, for that
>matter Freehand).
>
>It may have some useful features, but I imported a vector drawing easily
>created in CD7, and it was SLOWWWWW. Just loading the drawing took about
>a minute on a Pentium 150 with 64 megs ram. Scaling the object took
>about 30 seconds, with none of the positional feedback you get with CD.
>Admittedly this drawing was (intentionally) VERY complex, but Corel Draw
>8 does great bitmap output anyway with loads of control, so I'm not sure
>what I'm gaining using Firestorm instead of Draw. Or even in conjunction
>with Draw.
>
>Maybe some others can chime in and show me some better reasons to look
>further, but other than the noting that the beta runs fairly stable on
>my system, I dunno whether there is anything outstandingly useful about
>Firestorm.
>
>--
>Geoffrey J. Swenson
>technoGRAPHIC Solutions