Subject: Re: Flash Theft=Zero(Hmmm... NOT ALWAYS)
From: Tommy Rainwater
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:00:49 GMT

Wayne Townsend wrote:

> Any MM wheels listening?
>
> For people using Flash for commercial training websites/ corporate internal
> presentations, one of the greatest features/anomolies? of Flash is that you
> can't press-save the graphics.....

It's true, Flash is "difficult" to grab out of a browser, but it can be done.
If you see a movie that you really admire, and would like to put it on your
hard drive to view and study through the player, simply do this:

In Netscape Communicator (Mac):
1. View the page with the embedded Flash file. (If the page is part of a
frameset, open the SPECIFIC page into a new window.)
2. View the source code. (Like we ALL do when we see a superfly site to see
how it's done.....)
3. Detemine the path of where the Flash movie resides. (Is it in a sub-folder
called "flashfiles/test.swf" or swf_files/test.swf..... etc.)
4. Copy the path and paste it into the URL.
5. More than likely the movie is already cached, so when it pops up -(Usually
not in High Quality mode because you are viewing the Flash file without the
embed code)- Simply SAVE as source, NOT TEXT.
6. Find the file wherever you saved it. More than likely, it's type and
creator (MAC) are blank. You can use a utility such as DropAttribute to change
the type and creator to the proper types for a Flash movie. (Type: SWFL
Creator: SFW2)
7. Double-Click and watch as it launches the standalone Flash player.
8. Test and enjoy.

P.S. (Importing this newly acquired Flash movie BACK into Flash to "See
how'day do dat" is much more difficult, and as far as I know, impossible.
(With the exception of any vector information in the first frame of the
movie.)

Later.....

--
Thomas F. Rainwater (Tommy)