Subject: Re: more button problems (is: .AI format)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 20:23:35 GMT

At 6:11 AM 3/13/98, Paul Hagwood wrote:
>Or better yet, come up with a way to import a freehand file.
>What's up with only being able to import Adobe Illustrator Files?
>Do they really want me to be working in Illustrator over Freehand?

Of course not. Life would then be far too grim. <g>

It's the .AI *format* that's used as a transfer mechanism among
applications. It's simple and verbose and not particularly high-resolution
and also, until recently, dealt with only the single CMYK color space.

.AI format also has few internal mechanisms that other applications may not
be able to understand, such as FreeHand's live blends or printable
transparencies or magnifications and all. The Illustrator file format is
just a single-page format, and doesn't deal with the 22-foot-square
multiple-document column-balanced and tab-wrapped layouts that FreeHand
files normally work with.

Illustrator's native format is just a simple PostScript variant, and that's
why .AI files are used for editing transfer.

That said, the current FreeHand saves out in native Flash format, in living
RGB, with optional Flash-native animation information. FreeHand also saves
out .AI files that can be read more reliably by more applications that the
current tragic ILL7 release, but that's another story, and the full moon
with Mercury retrograde is far enough along already.... ;)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette