Subject: Re: Testing if "Shockwave" is installed.
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:01:58 GMT

At 1:15 AM 3/16/98, mitch wrote:
>Macromedia's site tests whether "Shockwave" is installed, and if not,
>brings you to a bland page saying that it uses Shockwave extensively and
>recommends installation. After installation, subsequent accesses of
>macromedia.com take the viewer directly to the main Macromedia
>site...which is what I'm trying to accomplish with my site...I've looked
>at their page source and tried to figure out how they do this, but not
>having much luck... I'm trying to learn JavaScript now..very much a
>novice in this area, and my progress has been slow... I also think it
>may involve set up of a cookie.

You're right on the mark... the Macromedia site does set a cookie for
whether that browser has multimedia capability. That's how it knows to
redirect you to the full pages on subsequent visits.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette