Subject: Re: Testing if "Shockwave" is installed.
From: getmitch
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:15:13 GMT

>At 1:15 AM 3/16/98, mitch wrote:
>>Macromedia's site tests whether "Shockwave" is installed, and if not,
>>brings you to a bland page saying that it uses Shockwave extensively and
>>recommends installation. After installation, subsequent accesses of
>>macromedia.com take the viewer directly to the main Macromedia
>>site...which is what I'm trying to accomplish with my site...I've looked
>>at their page source and tried to figure out how they do this, but not
>>having much luck... I'm trying to learn JavaScript now..very much a
>>novice in this area, and my progress has been slow... I also think it
>>may involve set up of a cookie.
>

>You're right on the mark... the Macromedia site does set a cookie for
>whether that browser has multimedia capability. That's how it knows to
>redirect you to the full pages on subsequent visits.
>
>jd

FORGIVE MY NOVICENESS JD, BUT IS SETTING A COOKIE SOMETHING I CAN DO? OR
MUST
THAT BE SET UP ON A SERVER... IF YOU KNOW OF AN ALTERNATIVE OR A
REFERENCE
THAT MAY BE USEFUL TO ME PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I TRIED MACROMEDIA'S "AUTO
UPDATE"
BUT I DIDN'T LIKE THAT IT INCLUDED ADVERTISEMENTS, IT WAS TOO LARGE, AND
MOST
IMPORTANTLY, IT ONLY WORKED 1 OF 3 TIMES I TESTED IT. I THINK THE COOKIE
SOLUTION WOULD BE BETTER...IF YOU CAN (OR SOMEONE ELSE) CAN GIVE ME SOME
GUIDANCE.

THANKS...MITCH