Subject: Re: FORMS in flash?
From: Rob Koberg - Home
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:42:25 +0100

p.m wrote:

> Rob,
>
> You didnt ask me either, but... ;]
>
> Could you please show me where you got your information about ActiveX
> Data Objects or any OLE technology is compatible with MacOS?!
>
> OLE and ActiveX is about the most propritary MS BS you can get.

Not OLE, but OLE DB. I know, word games. This is based on the COM
layer, which the MacOS has, I believe. You can have ActiveX controls on
the Mac, its just that no one makes them.

There are several data access methods in the Microsoft camp. Which I
hope people realize is the "real world". There is Data Access Objects
(DAO-the simplest and worst performing against MSAccess/Jet), Remote
Data Objects (RDO-the current way to do three tier data access, against
a RELATIONAL DB), ActiveX Data Objects (ADO-this allows data access not
only to relational DBs, but NON-RELATIONAL, things like the File System
or formatted documents or really anything that has an OL DB Provider
written [not many yet] for it), Remote Data Services (RDS-allows ADO to
be used in a distributed environment/web)

> Now, I use ASP a lot, but I wouldnt want to make it the 'standard' tha
> is 'ideal for immediate future database access methods'.

Check out ADO -- it is NOT ODBC -- http://www.microsoft.com/data --- you
should be able to find it from that link. It is really incredible.

The reason I say "immediate future" is becasue ADO is what Microsoft is
putting all their weight behind as THE way for DB access.

> Id prefer JDBC over ODBC anyday.

see above.