Subject: RE: FLASH: Sound Controls
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:45:33 GMT

At 09:12 AM 3/1/00 , you wrote:
>Marc,
>Unfortunately, I have to dynamically control all the sound of a
>site. From background music
>to sound effects to samples. What I need is the equivalent of the Lingo
>"volume" commands.
>Any ideas?

Umm, use Director? Seriously, Flash isn't made for this. You could
certainly trigger different instances of the same sound, setting the volume
levels differently for each in the Frame properties box> Sound tab. But the
sound would have to restart. You could mask the transition with another
sound, but it's nearly impossible to make it smooth, especially if anything
else (especially user interactivity) is going on. the only other thing i
can think of is to use Beatnik. Your visitors will need to have the plug-in
(standard on new browsers), and you'll have to learn to create and control
sound in Beatnik. See http://members.tripod.com/NigelR/marc.html for
Nigel's demo of this. I don't know if you can achieve simultaneous,
independent volume control of several sounds or if the volume control is
just for the overall output.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...