Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash for PalmPilots
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:24:20 GMT

At 6:19 AM 3/1/0, Clodagh O'Donovan wrote:
> John Dowdell wrote:
> > The larger Shockwave Player includes super-duper realtime chat,
> > though... this is part of the reason why the Player is larger and
> > isn't as portable to Linux or PalmPilots or such. Shockwave can
> > also use Flash-based artwork.
>
> I notice John Dowdell said something about some players being portable
> to PalmPilots. Can someone explain this - does it mean I could download
> a Flash projector to a PalmPilot? Ooh I'm so excited!!

Sorry! As David noted, the shipping PalmPilots do not include Flash
Players. The Flash Player *has* been ported to Palm prototype devices, but
this is not a shipping ability yet. I was more pointing to the _proven
capability_ of Flash inside portable devices, than to a current
distribution method. Sorry for the confusion!

A useful way to think of these devices is to realize that the capabilities
of a model are dependent upon the manufacturer. It's sort of like the WebTV
device: different models have different versions of the Flash Player
hardwired into them. It's not like a computer-based web browser, where
someone can drop in a new player... for devices, the manufacturer really
needs to provide the capability, hardwired into the device itself.

On the other hand, Intuwave *did* announce this week that they are porting
the Flash Player into the Symbian class of devices. These are developed by
a consortium including Ericsson, Matsusha, Motorola, Nokia, and Psion.
Intuwave demonstrated prototypes of these Flash-enabled handhelds at the
CEBit show in Germany last week.

Other classes of portable devices may not have the ability to render
vectors, but they can render text. This is how the upcoming WML Objects for
Dreamweaver will display in Nokia phones... Dreamweaver is customized to
produced the XML-based decks and cards of a Wireless Markup Language site.

Me, I'm wondering which of the major automobile makers will be the first to
announce that they'll support SWF files in their new models.... ;-)

devices, but deployment of shipping models depends on the hardware
manufacturer's scheduling and feature sets. Connectivity is not restricted
to big boxes on desktops.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...