Subject: FLASH: Entirely flash shoppingcart/catalog
From: Neal Cabage
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:46:16 GMT

THOUGHT:
I am considering the possibility of creating a shopping-cart/catalog using
exclusively Flash as the front-end.

CONTEXT:
As mentioned prior, sites like boo.com are largely a mix of
HTML/DHTML/Flash. I would like to try to do an entire interface in Flash
though. In order to do so I need to plan to do the following:

NECESSARY PRESUMPTIONS:
1. for the catalog portion I will need to load images into a specific
location on the stage dynamically. From what I have read, I believe this
can be done by compiling each image as a swf to be loaded dynamically using
load movie.

2. I can build off of Pipey's example of a dyamically populated listbox in
Flash to create a "view cart" page.

These are the presumptions I need to make. Further, I need to be positive
that there are no security concerns (which I don't believe there should be)
by building with a Flash front-end.

Can somone out there tell me if they know of any limitations to watch out
for or if they can think of any reasons why *not* to proceed this way (eg
proceed to make an entire Flash interface to the shopping cart/catalog)? I
am being pressured to make a decision before I am ready to do so (eg want to
do more research ...as I am fairly new to flash4) but i want to make sure
there aren't any blind traps I should know about before i say it can be
done. So far, it seems like it can ... but saying "yes" at this point makes
me *really* nervous. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Neal

flasher is generously supported by...