Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash Player won't install - Window 2000 - IE 5
From: Eric Dunham
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 01:29:19 GMT

Make sure that you have Install On Demand enabled (I think that it might be
disabled by default),
Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

or you can download the whole file from MM's site in the alternate
downloads/players section.
When you go to download the Flash player from MM's site look below the
"Autoinstall Now" button and then click on the download alternate players
(or something like that).

You can also try and make sure that you select IE as an option when you do
the client install of the player (by default it looks for NN I think).

Furthermore, you may want to try and install IE 5.01 or IE 5.5 Beta to see
if that might clear up some problems. And as far as the I-can't-uninstall-IE
issue... well, that's part of the reason that M$ got sued, isn't it?

HTH,
Eric Dunham

<snip>
I tried going to macromedia and reinstalling the latest flash plug-in, but
it doesn't even "see" that I have IE 5. The installation doesn't start. I
had to go and manually get the file.

I tried manually forcing it to load into the IE 5 Plug-in folder, which
starts to work, but I get an error that it "can't find netscape.exe" to
finish the installation.

Most frustratingly I tried to uninstall IE 5 but for the life of me it
won't let me. There is no uninstall executable and if you try to just grab
some files and toss them into the can, windows automatically rebuilds them.
(I guess this is MS trying to be helpful, but it makes for an awful
feeling of no control.)
</snip>

flasher is generously supported by...