Subject: FLASH: Flash Player won't install - Window 2000 - IE 5
From: Kurt Dommermuth
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 12:35:12 GMT

Hi All,

I hope someone out there can help! I recently put together a new computer.
AMD Athlon 650 - Windows 2000 professional. Of course while installing
Windows 2000, IE 5 is automatically installed as well. For a few days of
use, IE 5 played flash no problem. Then I must have done something because
now when I go to any Flash site I get the dreaded "X" instead of the flash
movie.

I tried going to macromedia and reinstalling the latest flash plug-in, but
it doesn't even "see" that I have IE 5. The installation doesn't start. I
had to go and manually get the file.

I tried manually forcing it to load into the IE 5 Plug-in folder, which
starts to work, but I get an error that it "can't find netscape.exe" to
finish the installation.

Most frustratingly I tried to uninstall IE 5 but for the life of me it
won't let me. There is no uninstall executable and if you try to just grab
some files and toss them into the can, windows automatically rebuilds them.
(I guess this is MS trying to be helpful, but it makes for an awful
feeling of no control.)

I tried reinstalling IE 5 over the original installation, but of course it
"sees" that IE 5 is already installed and it won't let me have the full
download.

I looked on my windows 2000 disk and as far as I can tell IE 5 is
indistinguishable from the OS. so I can't reinstall from there.

Any ideas? Has this already been addressed? I'm missing something really
simple right?

TIA,
Kurt
http://www.dommermuth-1.com