Subject: FLASH: Fresh out of ideas - Help!
From: Jefferis
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 02:09:39 GMT

I am in the midst of a project and nothing is complete, but I am really
starting to get dissatisfied.

The first part started out as a Caribbean feel, and it will be fine with
appropriate sound trak.

But the next part is driving me nuts. I found out today that the client
is color blind and color combos I was trying to use on white where hard
for him to see [sea greens and blues]. He is not settled but wants more
"flashy flash" and punch to the presentation.

He wanted the presentation to switch to a blue background. I think he
likes gaudy color combinations because of his color blindness and he
equates that with flashy.

The problems I'm encountering are as follows:
A techno, hi intensity presentation for part 2 didn't seem to flow
naturally from the intro.
He wanted the intro borderless, which works for it, but part 2 has a
Massive amount of text[ 7 pages].
He told me what graphics to put in [charts].
I've tried to tell him that what he liked about a model site he saw was
that it had a voice over commentary BUT there was actually very little
text to the presentation in Flash itself. The graphics were few and
punched with bits of text, but the actual soundtrack had most of the
copy. When they went to text, the text area was a slide show, user
controlled as a separate Flash /html doc.

Now he thinks the way we're heading lacks a WOW factor. [which I agree]
but I am only 1/2 way through the TEXT!

I told him that the problem with that much text is that it isn't well
suited to flashy presentations, because people actually have to
concentrate on what they are reading to be able to understand what is
going on with that much material to cover. Headlines jumping out at you
all the time is probably going to work against it being followed.

Other than shortening the tweens and removing frames to make the text
jump more, which I plan to do, I don't know what to do.

There are a lot of technical improvements to be made about placement of
headlines and the type of flash going on, but I am afraid if I try to put
all these pages of text in separate flash sequences, the file is going to
be huge and the reader will get bored.

I have never seen Flash used to present 10 pages of text in sequence. And
I am starting to freak.

Anyone faced a problem like this before?
How do you handle it?

Jeff

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing