Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: OT applications of divine respect
From: Jefferis
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:18:23 GMT

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:40:26 -0500, unique <uniqueatptd [dot] net> wrote:

>Jefferis said:

Ken, I know that the spirit was light hearted. And I wasn't too
concerned, knowing the friendly atmosphere that prevails here. I just
remember how shocked I was when my favorite hometown [formerly] team won
the Superbowl [the Redskins]. The signs people held up "You are Gods!"
when they returned, weren't in jest :-) It was an act of worship. [or
pretty close to it :-)

But I am also trying to say in the gentlest way possible that certain
things really grieve my spirit and which I find troubling.

I grew up in an environment that had no limit of swearing, so I find that
a lot of things don't offend me, even if I find them pretty tasteless
[like f* this or that]. My skin is pretty thick.

But it still bothers me to see in print or spoken G*D*mn this or that.
Which was done here recently.

You all are free beings and you can do or say whatever you want. I also
think it is not wrong to let you know how it affects me personally.

I am a Christian. I love the Lord. To use His Name in swearing I find
as offensive as painting a swastika on a synagogue. If you want to keep
doing it, that is indeed your free speech right. I just thought you ought
to know how hits me.

And just as a matter of wisdom, my wife and I went into a decent
appliance store and the salesman in his mid forties thought there was
nothing wrong with adding an expletive after every other word. It was
just so disrespectful of us, especially since he didn't know us... that
we just left as soon as we could. You never know how careless use of
words may affect your profit margin.

I am definitely NOT trying to start a flame war. And I am not even
keeping track of who said what. And I will not be saying any more about
it, so as not to start a war.
But I am just letting others know how I feel, so if they want to show
respect to my sensitivities that can. If others don't care what I think,
then at least I've said my piece, and I am content to have shown you
enough respect to be honest with you about my feelings.

Peace,

Jeff
>Seeing that the appropriate "OT" has already been put in place :-) ,
>and within the friendly spirit that permeates this list, Jeff, I
>think that your sentence above is the key to where people differ on
>this (and similar) knotty problems of religion.
>
>Many of us seem to prefer to adhere to a belief that "God" is a
>Benevolent Being who has no need or desire to impose "recompense" for
>unintentional "misdeeds".

Which, BTW, I would agree with.

>*Always* "just my opinion",
>
>Ken Sherwood