Subject: RE: Typography Check (was FLASH: Site Check: ITVerge.com)
From: Kevin Jackson
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:07:59 GMT

Eva posted from a book the following

I happen to have this typography book, it belonged to my father, so it is
quite old... but reliable!

Repeat after me, Books are merely Opinions which have been published.

The "book said"

-Justified:
Advantages: Most of your reading matter is set justified, because this
arrangement is best suited for sustained reading comfort.

Actually I'd say worst for legibility and reading comfort would be All Caps,
Underlined and Justified. All of them ruin some of the visual clues to the
reader or in the case of justification to the reader's eyes and processing.
Since there is no consistent spacing in justified text, the eye can never
form a pattern to recognize the gaps and therefore has to work harder.
Unless columns are very narrow that means you are working harder to process
the information and likely rubbing your eyes a lot more than ragged right.

That said it's only my opinion and I don't like hyphens either. To me they
are like making someone jump off a cliff in mid thought.

Kevin Jackson
Triskelian Design
kjacksonattriskelian [dot] com

The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you
settled for. Maureen Dowd

flasher is generously supported by...