Subject: Re: FLASH: What drives the process- great design or great code?
From: Dorian Nisinson
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:41:12 GMT

In an evolving field, like web design, the boundaries between areas of
expertise can get pretty blurry. Anyone who lived through the desktop
publishing industry's drastic changes over the last 15 years or so can see
the similarities. The job descriptions of designers and printing technical
experts began to merge in the middle just as is occurring in web design.
Between these two areas there was and is a certain tension very much like
what web designers and coders feel now. This constant jockeying for the
position (who is the most important partner in the relationship) is the same
stress that can be seen in web design. The stress is unavoidable and not
necessarily a bad thing as long as there are no clear winners or losers.

In point of fact coders and designers need each other very much indeed.
When coders have the upper hand, you get gee whiz design where the novelty
of the trick takes precedence over clarity and ease of use for the end
user, and the visuals can be somewhat unsophisticated at best and sophomoric
and unreadable at worst . When designers have free reign, you can get
artistically beautiful objects that can be just as unreadable and as
unusable. Witness certain magazines of recent years where you need to have
20/10 vision to read them and the patience of a saint or a devotee to find
out where the article continues.

What causes the most problems between the two camps is a certain
defensiveness. Each knows (if they are honest with themselves) that they
cannot really do the other's job. Both are key to the process. The old
clich�, "I don't know a thing about art, but I know what I like." can be
just as true when applied to code. "I don't know a thing about code, but I
know what I like." and both are valid.

In order to really clarify the issues, it is important to define good
design and good code. The following are my suggestions for the definitions.
Additions or different opinions are welcome.
Good design is:
1) ease of use
2) visual appeal that enhances and elucidates use
3) getting the users attention. (the balance between 2 and 3 are a
challenge)
Good code is:
1) ease of use
2) transparent ( I.e.. the user should not be aware of the hard work it took
to achieve the final result)
3) getting the users attention (same balance problem)
Coders and designers share the same goals. It is only the means that is
different. At the risk of sounding more pollyannaish than I would like,
together they can achieve their goals.

Dorian