Subject: FLASH: What drives the process- great design or great code?
From: Tom Green
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 02:33:55 GMT

I have been pondering whether I am a curmudgeon who just happens to to
pick on Dave when I get fed up with some of the sites developed by
pimply faced 15 year olds that always get raves on this list. I notice
that my last screed, not aimed specifically at Dave, kicked off a great
thread regarding the use of typography in the design process.

Anyway, before I head off to FlashForward I thought I would share a
couple of quotes I picked up through this month's issue of Applied Arts
magazine and solicit some response from the list.

The following quote tends to reinforce why I unload on certain sites.

Design is design:" writes Stuart Ash, a principal of the Toronto firm of
Gottchalk + Ash, "the principles are the same whether it's a printed
page , a piece of furniture, a building or a web site: consistency,
continuity of look, attention to detail, sensitivity to the viewer,
clarity, legibility. But some web designers are using totally different
criteria: they are trying to reinvent the wheel. It's only a matter of
time before good designers and communicators get involved and start to
make sense of it."

When I criticize on a site, whether it is one designed by my students or
another individual, it is never personal. Instead it always revolves
around the principals outlined by Stuart. Yet when I question the
choices made the howls of outrage are rarely justified on the basis of
"consistency, continuity of look, attention to detail, sensitivity to
the viewer, clarity, legibility." They key to my unhappiness with Dave's
site was not Dave's abilities. It was the typography. It was sloppy,
from the point-of-view of design standards and didn't show attention to
detail, clarity and legibility. Those are key aspects of typography
whether it appears on the screen or on the printed page. Different
media. Same fundamentals.

Have we become so enamored with the technology of Flash that solid
design takes a back seat?

Paul Saffo, director of the Institute for the Future, interviewed in the
latest copy of @issue ( this is a twice yearly publication put out by
Boston's Corporate Design Foundation and the Potlatch Corporation) says
this may just be the case. According to him, the interface is dead.

"Interface as a concept made sense when computers just squatted on our
desks and waited for us to do something. Computers , for the most part,
had no idea that anything was on the other side of the screen. But now
through a combination of sensors, bandwidth and everything else, we have
blasted the screen away. Computers are invading our physical space,
moving deeper into our lives. That is why designers need to eliminate
the word 'interface' from their vocabulary and think in terms of
interaction."

How does he see the difference between interface and interaction? " With
interface you can pretty much predict everything. It involves a limited
number of formal, very stylized exchanges. With interaction you must
design for the unexpected. Computers no longer wait for us to do things:
they're doing things on our behalf� Interaction implies a deeper
symbiotic relationship."

I just don't see this with a lot of sites developed in Flash and posted
to this list. They are all interface. All technique. Not that symbiotic
relationship that harks back to the principal of "sensitivity to the
viewer".

Then again, according to Saffo, maybe we don't need designers. He likens
designers to "the 'Rodney Dangerfield's of the industrial age- they
don't get no respect." As he sees designers will become an increasingly
integral part of the business but there will be a decreasing level of
respect for what we do. We are starting to see this occur around the
actual coding of the design. It is getting quite complex.

"it is a lot easier for computer scientists to pretend to know about
design, even though they are ignorant of the subject, than it is for
designers to pretend they know computer science. Computer scientists and
engineers are going to end up driving the process. Hopefully, they will
be willing to collaborate with designers."

So here we have opposite views. Ash thinks designers are going to take
over. Saffo says if they do, they will become irrelevant in the general
scheme of things. I suspect we are starting to see the first
glimmerings of Saffo's predictions on this list.

My question: , " Is there a point where collaboration between the coders
and the designers will find equilibrium or are we heading for a business
where the code drives the design?"

flasher is generously supported by...