Subject: RE: FLASH: Fireworks to Flash (SOME THOUGHTS)
From: Daniel Brown
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 02:54:52 GMT

> Considering the type of integration of Fireworks with Dreamweaver, it seems
> very natural to be able to export a Fireworks file in FLA format, OR have
> Flash import a Fireworks file in an easy to edit format. I find Fireworks
> much easier to use and as a consequence I would like to create great
> interfaces in Fireworks and then animate them in Flash.
>
> It would not suprise me if this type of ease of use will be the biggest
> selling point of Adobe's product over Flash.

Thanks Lynn. We are trying to help people create some of what they're
already doing in Fireworks AND have the ability to output vector-based files
to .SWF in one application. Integration is probably nowhere MORE important
than in SWF creation. You rely on a robust vector editor, a robust raster
editor, and an assembly timeline to put it all together (though, based on
feedback from users, they don't want to be forced to jump to Illustrator
just for the pen tool or to Photoshop just for a blur filter.)

> I know that Flash can already import from Illustrator and I suppose that is
> one way to do it in order to maintain easily editable vectors. But why not
> make it easier?

Part of the problem here is that, since the native Illustrator format is our
own, it would be tricky for them to anticipate changes we might make to the
file format. Here, you're right, we have a bit of an edge with LiveMotion
(it can read native, layered, Photoshop and Illustrator files and then
animate the layers, and maintain editability - "Round-tripping" the files,
so to speak.)

| / \ | D a n i e l B r o w n danielbatadobe [dot] com
| / \ | Evangelist, Internet Products Group
| / /\ \ | Adobe Systems Inc. 408 536.3437
| / /_ \ \ | 345 Park Avenue
|/_____|_\__\| San Jose, California 95110-2704

flasher is generously supported by...