Subject: RE: FLASH: Fireworks to Flash (SOME THOUGHTS)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:38:01 GMT

At 6:42 PM 3/21/0, Daniel Brown, Adobe Corporate Evangelist, wrote:
> Thanks Lynn. We are trying to help people create some of what
> they're already doing in Fireworks AND have the ability to
> output vector-based files to .SWF in one application.

Hmm. From this it almost sounds like you're not aware that Fireworks
already exports SWF animations, as either vectors or pixels. But I'd find
it difficult to believe you're not aware of this, particularly since we've
already discussed this in the thread you're replying to.

Maybe you meant to write something else instead...? I can't tell, the
pieces don't quite fit together.

> Part of the problem here is that, since the native Illustrator format
> is our own, it would be tricky for them to anticipate changes we
> might make to the file format. Here, you're right, we have a bit of
> an edge with LiveMotion (it can read native, layered, Photoshop and
> Illustrator files and then animate the layers, and maintain
> editability - "Round-tripping" the files, so to speak.)

[sigh] If you believed that Adobe writing new .AI formats was such a
barrier, by the same logic you wouldn't even have added SWF export to
ImageStyler 2.0, much less had the leak campaign to bill it as "more than a
Flash-killer". There's no logic there.

And of course what you describe is not "Roundtrip Graphics"... how do you
get an ImageStyler 2.0 file back into the tool for vectors, or the tool for
pixels? "Round Trip" implies two-way transit.
(And this term "Roundtrip Graphics" was introduced back in Fireworks 2,
for how you can edit graphics from within Dreamweaver, automatically using
*the original source file* and *passing back resizing info*. Yet this older
work was the highlight of Adobe's Seybold demo, for some future version of
GoLive....) [/sigh]

No matter how many ways I try to look at some of these posts, it's still
hard to find ways to make sense of them. Sometimes I just can't guess the
point that's trying to be made.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...