Subject: Re: FLASH: Help - two frames/two movies
From: Tirahmisu
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:54:54 GMT

Hi Sarah:

Yes, that makes sense and is something I am trying to
do, as well as playing around with Load Movie.

The issue that is driving me up a wall is the actual
pathing and targetting. How can one movie talk to another
movie in another HTML frame when the only thing that will
specify a particular HTML frame to go to is Get URL?

I understand the Load Movie info in John Croteau and Ken
Mullburn's book, read it several times and played with it,
but still can't see how the whole separate HTML frame thing
would be handled.

Ok a bit more light on my project:

I'm working on a web site that starts out in two HTML frames
like this:

-------------
| |
-------------
| |
| |
| |
-------------

The name of the top frame is Flash, the name of the bottom
one is Content.

The whole thing starts with the top frame just being empty,
and the bottom one playing an intro splash swf. At the end
of this swf is a Get URL to load an HTML page into the top
frame with an embedded swf of the site navigation,
window = flash.

This works fine on a fast connection, but I have a sound loop
in that top swf that really causes the load time to grind
on a 56k modem, so I want the whole thing to pre-load -while-
the opening splash animation is playing in Content, but not
play the movie in Flash until the movie in Content is done.

The reason why we are using this two frame set-up is because
we need the bottom frame around for loading static HTML pages
when the user uses the nav that builds into the top frame.

Hope that's more clear. Thanks Sarah and everyone.

Pat

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Sarah Lamont wrote:

> Pat,
>
> I'm thinking this would be a solution:
>
> Set a variable in the last frame of the movie you want to play first,
> and send it to the other movie. In the other movie you could have an
> if,then statement set to play when the variable equals what you set it
> to in the other movie.
> uh....something like that anyways. Maybe play around with that and see
> if it works.
>
> Maybe I helped...
> �arah
> :]
>
> Tirahmisu wrote:
> >
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have a HTML frameset consisting of two frames, one for
> > the upper half of the screen, and one for the lower half
> > of the screen.
> >
> > I also have two different swfs, one for each frame.
> >
> > I want both movies to pre-load before playing. However,
> > the order I want them to play after being pre-loaded is
> > for the movie in the lower frame to play first, and when
> > it is finished, to then start the movie in the upper frame.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

flasher is generously supported by...