Subject: FLASH: Shopping cart application
From: Cheryl Harder
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:36:12 +0100

Hi, everybody

I'm attempting to build a shopping cart application using Flash/ASP/Access.
I know, I'm not the first, but haven't seen too many of them yet. Also know
I'm spending time "reinventing the wheel" but cannot find an existing
shopping cart application I can really get hooks into to attach it to a
Flash front-end, besides THEY get all the money, and I want some! <grin>

At any rate, I'm trying to decide how to divide the load of work amongst the
three tiers of the application and need advice. Obviously, I will need the
database to track the store, product, sales and customer information...so I
need Access and ASP at the start and end of the transaction (search - view -
order - cart - checkout/confirm - sale is the way I see the functionality
flow, and I need the database for the search-to-view and the
checkout-to-sale parts.) My question is, would it be better to "hold" the
cart (order-in-progress) at the Flash end and just send it back to the
database when complete? Or should I track it in the database the entire
time?

I can see pros & cons of either way:

If aborted (computer hung or customer paused for any reason) the order would
be saved if it were being held in the database

Less server traffic/bandwidth "waiting" if on client

When sale complete, would already be on the server if on server (so who
cares?)

Could do data mining statistical analysis if all the orders were in the
database, including the cancelled ones.

Easier to build it in Flash (for me, anyway....)

Any other thoughts?

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution