Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Stupid Photoshop Question, Smart Flash Answer
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:03:16 +0100

At 1:55 PM 3/26/0, Daniel Brown, professional Adobe Evangelist, wrote:
>> Subject: Re: FLASH: Stupid Photoshop Question, Smart Flash Answer
>>
>> At 6:59 AM 3/24/0, Vega, Eric wrote:
>>> I've done this before, but for the life of me can't remember how
>>> to now. The end result I want is a rectangle with rounded corners.
>>> I've got the rectangle, but can't remember how to round off the corners.
>>
>> Considering this is a Flash mailing list, there's a faster solution: Just
>> make the rounded rect in Flash, and paste it into Photoshop. You can choose
>> the rounding before drawing from the Tool Panel.
>
>Well, yeah, but that wasn't the question. The question was how to do it in
>Photoshop.

No, he didn't say "Can I do this in Photoshop?" You can confirm this by
looking at what you quoted. The request was to draw a rounded-rect in PS. I
notice you didn't object to all the people advising Eric to buy Illustrator
to draw a rectangle.... ;-)

There's an interesting question of "Why can't you draw things in
Photoshop?", which is due to its lineage as a photo-processor rather than
as a general design tool. But I didn't go there until you tried to lecture
me.

>> (Please don't bring that pixel-y rectangle back into Flash, though... it's
>> possible, but those fixes-res bitmaps aren't really as keen as a resizable
>> vector rectangle!)
>
>At times, it's very necessary to bring a "pixel-y" rectangle back into the
>swf authoring tool if that rectangle holds an image.

Well, if it's a photograph, then you don't need a solidcolor rounded-rect
then, do you? The question then becomes "How can I select a rounded-rect in
a photo in Photoshop?"

And if you *want* to put a photo in a rounded-rect frame, then you can do
that right in Flash... make a new masking layer and draw the rectangle
there. No need to shuffle around through various expensive tools... you can
make a fat pixel-based SWF natively if you prefer.

There's still no reason to object to my original "pixel-based rectangles
aren't as keen as vector-based rectangles", though.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...