Subject: OT: Copyright Myths
From: Adam Tween
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:49:59 +0100

Forgive the length of this, but I don't want to leave any holes.

If you object to this post, don't reply-to: just delete it. Hopefully,
everyone's questions will be answered, and if they aren't they can probably
find the resouces that will....

Regards the thread 'MM/Porn..relax" etc.., and the view of some that
discussing copyright and personal rights on a board dedicated to software
which is used to create such 'copyrightable' material, I'd like to help out
the people who *care* about what happens when somebody takes, borrows or
distributes material or intellectual properties belonging to them; and
clarify a little regards the circumstances under which they can use other
peoples' work - wether it contains a copyright notice or not...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not into victorian old-school principles, and one of
the things I love most about the internet is the freedom of information and
creativity. However, I run a business - very successfully. It's a success
because of the MONEY and HARD WORK I put into it. I don't mind when someone
copies (even blatently) something I create - on more than a few times I've
even mailed them saying how much I like what they've done with
such-and-such. But when they use the material for commercial use, the least
I expect is an e-mail or link to one of my sites. Anything. If you want to
stop someone using your property, the first thing you should do is find
their IP address, then WHOIS to find the ISP that hosts their site. Many
ISPs hold their customers to observance of copyright & trademark laws -
while legal action should always be left to last resort, the least you
should expect is some form mutual agreement with the other party.

For those interested in their rights, go to
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

"10 Big Myths about copyright explained - An attempt to answer common myths
about copyright seen on the net and cover issues related to copyright and
USENET/Internet publication, by Brad Templeton."

And for those of you who have the 'relax' 'it doesn't hurt anyone' attitude,
here's an excerpt:

9) "It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact it's free advertising."
It's up to the owner to decide if they want the free
ads or not. If they want them, they will be sure to
contact you. Don't rationalize whether it hurts the
owner or not, ask them. Usually that's not too
hard to do. Time past, ClariNet published the very
funny Dave Barry column to a large and
appreciative Usenet audience for a fee, but some person
didn't ask, and forwarded it to a mailing
list, got caught, and the newspaper chain that employs
Dave Barry pulled the column from the net,
pissing off everybody who enjoyed it. Even if you can't
think of how the author or owner gets hurt,
think about the fact that piracy on the net hurts
everybody who wants a chance to use this
wonderful new technology to do more than read other
people's flamewars.