Subject: Re: MM porn/copying - relax pls!
From: Scott Hamlin
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 16:27:29 +0100

While there's plenty of intelligent folks chiming in on this, I am
compelled to take a few whacks at the bell myself.

There's a big difference between being inspired by something and outright
stealing it. It is true that often what is innovative is merely a clever
augmentation of a pre-existing idea. Creating works which reflect
inspiration from other creative works is a perfectly legitimate practice.
Simply taking someones creative works, slightly altering it for your own
purposes, and putting your name on it is theft. It is petty, it is slimey,
it is cheap, it is lame, etc. etc. etc.

While those who defend theft like this are likely those who engage in it,
the really pathetic thing is that they are trying to do it n the name of
the Internet's freedom of expression, etc. If the Internet become a place
where it's open season on creative designs, ideas and such, creative ideas
and such will begin to stop showing up on the Internet. The Internet is not
"Wanna-Be Haven." Unlike Ben and Wayne, there are those of us who don't
want the Internet to become a place where loosers run free stealing
everything they can get their hands on. If that happens, the whole Internet
will be as skanky as all the porn sites.

Despite the fact that I am a devout fundamental Christian (an extremely
imperfect one, mind you), I essentially defend the right for sleazeballs to
post raw pictures, etc--that's freedom of expression--that's what must be
protected even if I think it's bogus and, of course, I believe this sort of
thing is wrong, sinful, etc. But stealing stuff on the Internet is not
defendable.

Saying that Internet theft is wrong is not "whining." In essence guys like
Ben Rottler are whining. They are using pathetically flawed arguements in a
lame attempt to undermine the legitimate objections to an amazingly
grotesque and flagrant theft. People protesting theft aren't
whining--people who defend theft are probably just whining about that fact
that we are trying to keep them from doing what they want to do: steal and
get away with it. To my eyes/ears, the bogus "the Internet is free, man,
you can't fight it" argument is just a lame annoying whine.