Subject: Re: Here's a really nice one
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 21:01:51 +0100

At 11:07 AM 5/7/98, Geoffrey J. Swenson wrote:
>Most of the
>chrome effects would be hard to do in flash. If objects were
>used to generate the effect, they would be too slow and/or
>too big and if bitmaps were used within flash, other than
>being able to reuse objects and some increased flexibility,
>the download sizes probably would be larger than his
>bitmaps.

Try a gradient... repeated black and white would do the trick. The
Transform Fill Tool can help in giving each piece a slightly different
pseudo-reflection.

(For a sky-like reflection, try a gradient that goes light blue to dark
blue, then switches sharply into ground colors at the horizon. Keep it very
plain, though... unlike 3D tools we don't have curved surfaces, and so
generic black/white detail is often the best for chrome.)

I just did a quick knockoff of one of Scott's panels in Fireworks... that
tool has the snapping, duplication, and beveling functions to make that
type of mechanical drawing. Another trick was to add some highlights with
overlaid feathered acute stars... sparklies help in defining lit edges.

You can also use partially-transparent overlays in Flash 3, to add
chrome-like reflections above a bitmap fill or such. But watch out if using
a lot of transparency... figuring out how those multiple layers should
blend together can add a bit to the costs of realtime animation. Testing
the design on a low-end clunker during work would help greatly.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/
Luscious web graphics: http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/