Subject: Turning Lemons into Lemonade
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:06:41 +0100

Like a lot of us, I've followed the recent threads on copying, and the
Senate's lawmaking involvement, with great interest.

But to switch tracks for a moment, no matter what your views on it are, one
thing is certain: There is a clear business opportunity here, and
commercial Flash developers should take advantage of that opportunity.

I propose that my company, WebStaffing.Net, do the genesis work to form a
group of talented Flash developers, for the purpose of producing a
commercial library (software package) of Flash animations.

This would be a web-based subscriber service. Subscribers would be able to
download your Flash projects to use on their websites/ modify/ learn from,
etc.

Flash authors contributing to the library would share in the profit. We
will employ an independent professional accounting firm to handle audits,
as well as share & profit distribution.

What would be required from you is the coolest animations that you're
willing to sell, and a complete text description of how they work. It
could be a simple as a set of buttons, and even complete intros, menusets,
etc., etc. This should also be extended to FlashGenerator projects. (Now
wouldn't you *love* to have a library of those to work from!?)

* Every day, doubleM is selling plenty of Flash boxes to _new_ animators.

* Flash is arguably the most popular download in Internet history.

* There is no reason that experienced and talented Flash developers
shouldn't also directly profit from the popularity of the tool.

Clearly, a source such as this would be very valuable to both newbies and
experienced developers alike. I am dead-sure that clients will buy into
this.

The copying issue combined with simple marketing logic shows that this is a
needed resource, and a plan that would work to most everyone's satisfaction.

Let's turn Lemons into Lemonade!

Are you game? Should we do it?

I'm collecting Flash projects now, and building the website. Feel free to
email me personally.

/wayne

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Dallas, Texas
US- 972.713.8705
wayneTatTopher [dot] Net (mailto:wayneTatTopher [dot] Net)
wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net (mailto:wayneatWebStaffing [dot] Net)
gscatOnRamp [dot] Net <-- old